Monday, June 27, 2011

Food Storage Adventures

My niece introduced me to the joys of food storage.  It comes at a good time, after watching the horrors of the Japan earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster.  We here on Vancouver Island, are within an earthquake zone, so it is a good idea to be prepared, and if there is no situation where we would need a year's supply of food ... we have our retirement groceries subsidized. 

I started with 2 starter kits, large bags of rice, powdered milk, powdered potatoes, oil, oats, raisins, canned goods, dried peas, lentils, and whenever I see something on sale, I buy extra.  For instance, I bought extra toothpaste when I saw it going for $1 per tube.  I am far from my 1 year goal, but close to the 3 month storage limit.  I still need to purchase 72hr backpacks, so that's my next goal, plus I need to buy sugar and honey.

I have created a spreadsheet to track what I buy, so that I don't get too much of one thing, and too little of another.  I have set aside a room, with a freezer, and shelf to start the storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yellow daisies

Yellow daisies
taken in Nanaimo

White daisies

White daisies
field of daisies taken in Nanaimo