Tuesday, April 26, 2011

News - Conservative Party of Canada

I support the Conservative Party in the Canadian elections.  I feel that PM Stephen Harper has got our country through a bad economic time, and we are in a better shape than most countries.  He is also a friend to Israel, hard on crime, and supports low taxes. I like that his wife is Canadian, and so are his children.  I don't know why I like that fact, since I am an immigrant, but I came to Canada to be a Canadian, so that must have something to do with it.  I loved how he handled himself during the english Debate.  The liberals call him cold, but I think he's cool, calm, and collected ... he states his case, and doesn't get all riled up.  From my perspective, to be a Canadian is to be cool and calm and collected.  We are not ones for revolution, and uprisings (... Ignatieff's, "rise up, rise up Canada" speech sounded so ... sorry to say it, but it sounded like an Obama speech ... "yes, we can" tirade).  We are a quiet people, slow to anger, fast to help when someone is in trouble, we stand by our friends, and we don't follow blindly.  I see all that, and more, in Stephen Harper.

I want more jails to keep dangerous people out of society longer than their 1/6th that they presently serve.  How many times have rapists been let out early, only to rape again?  The same can be said for paedophiles. I also want criminals from other countries to sent back despite a possible death sentence.  Who are we to judge the laws of another country, and harbour criminals that can do the same thing in our own country?  I hope this changes.
Some things I would like the CP government to work on:  immigration policy that makes it easier for families to be together, but harder for criminals and terrorists to get in;  smaller government (i.e. I am not keen on the setting up of an office for religious freedom - doesn't make sense to me since we are guaranteed that in the Bill of Rights); and lowering the power of unions while strengthening the rights of the worker through the government, whether provincial or federal (I find that some unions will commit economic suicide for their members just for the sake of making a point and/or gaining more power for themselves); and, more research on green technology, and stricter rules on plastic bottled water.  I would like the rivers and oceans cleaned of pollution, our air breathable for asthmatics, etc.  But, there has to be balance in all things.  We, the people of Canada, can do a lot to fix things instead of relying on our government to do everything.  And, I think most of us do, such as recycling, having campaigns against plastic bottles, switch off your lights, and so on.  We don't need our government to think for us, to have a finger in every part of our lives. 

I hope the CP gets a majority government this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yellow daisies

Yellow daisies
taken in Nanaimo

White daisies

White daisies
field of daisies taken in Nanaimo